Woor-Dungin means ‘share’ in the language of the Gunnai people of south-eastern Victoria, and sharing is the philosophy underpinning the Woor-Dungin model. Woor-Dungin is a living model for successful partnerships among Aboriginal community-controlled organisations and philanthropic and pro bono partners.
Our Vision is for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and their rich cultures to be acknowledged, valued and embraced by Australian society.
Our Purpose is to increase resources, build strong partnerships and share knowledge to fulfil the purpose of Aboriginal community-controlled organisations.
Our Principles are:
- Self-determination: Aboriginal community-controlled organisations will determine their own future.
- Community development: We will work to empower the Aboriginal community-controlled organisations with which we partner. We will not “do” things for organisations such as write their grant applications. Instead, we provide training, assist with project development, give feedback and advice, provide information on sourcing funding, facilitate introductions to grantmakers, help with acquitting, documenting impact, and provide ongoing support.
- Reconciliation: Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal people will work together to enable Woor-Dungin to realise our shared mission.
- Advocacy: We will tackle structural issues on a systemic level. Our direct work with Aboriginal community-controlled organisations informs our advocacy and policy development.
Our Values are:
- Integrity: Woor-Dungin values honesty, reliability and impartiality. We strive for impartiality in our professional practice, refraining from imposing our personal values, views and preferences on the people who we work with. Committee and staff members (paid and unpaid) seek and take responsibility for our actions.
- Trust: Woor-Dungin strives to provide an environment where communications are open, where people feel free to take risks, to share their points of view and to speak the truth as they see it.
- Respect: Woor-Dungin values differences and appreciates each person for her or his unique qualities. We will treat each other and the people we work with, with respect.